What do I need to know before I travel?
Public Health Scotland logo

Fit for Travel Logo

Information on how to stay safe and healthy abroad. About us.

Travel Advice for Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (Update 7)

14 Feb 2020

On the 11th of February the World Health Organization (WHO) announced that the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, first reported in Wuhan city China, is now officially called COVID-19. COVID-19 thus replaces the temporary name of 2019-nCoV infection used by many health agencies around the world. The virus causing COVID-19 has also been named as SARS-CoV-2 by the Coronavirus Study Group.

On the 13th February the WHO reported 46,997 confirmed COVID-19 cases globally, 99% of which were reported from China. Less than 1% of the total COVID-19 cases have been reported from 24 other countries around the world. Within China, 74% of cases are reported from Hubei province.

Advice to All Travellers

Prior to travel, the following should be checked:

  • The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) site provides guidance for UK nationals travelling overseas, including how to seek consular assistance if required.
  • Travel agents or airlines should be contacted for latest information on local travel restrictions and local authority guidance relating to COVID-19.
  • Travel insurance is essential: the COVID-19 outbreak may impact your travel insurance coverage, ensure you carefullly check your travel insurance policy before travel.

The FCO countries or territories pages should be checked prior to travel for the latest advice, including:

  • Travel advisories and restrictions; it must be noted that these are subject to change and should be checked regularly. The FCO currently advise against all travel to Hubei Province and all but essential travel to the rest of mainland China (not including Hong Kong and Macao).
  • Entry requirements for the destination; a number of countries have announced restrictions on entry by travellers from China in response to the outbreak
  • Reports of COVID-19 at the destination; travellers to countries reporting cases of COVID-19 should follow local public health advice.

Information on COVID-19, including prevention advice, is available here.

Travellers to mainland China (excluding Wuhan or Hubei Province), Hong Kong, Japan, Macao, Malaysia, South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan or Thailand should be aware if they develop symptoms on return to the UK, that are compatible with COVID-19, they should self-isolate and contact one of the following:

  • NHS 111 (England and Wales)
  • 0300 200 7885 (Northern Ireland)
  • NHS24 (Call 111) or your General Practitioner (Scotland)