What do I need to know before I travel?
Public Health Scotland logo

Fit for Travel Logo

Information on how to stay safe and healthy abroad. About us.

Outbreak of Novel Coronavirus (Update 6)

06 Feb 2020

Updated advice for travellers to China (excluding Wuhan or Hubei province), Hong Kong, Japan, Macao, Malaysia, South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan or Thailand

The novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV), originating in Wuhan City, Hubei province in December 2019, has been reported from all regions of China and has also been detected in other countries around the world, mainly in travellers from affected areas of China. On 30 January 2020 the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee agreed that the outbreak now met the criteria for a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.

According to the Chinese National Health Commission, as of 5 February 2020, 70% of 2019-nCoV cases were in Hubei Province. The Hubei Provincial Health Committee reported that, as of 5 February 2020, 51% of the confirmed cases in Hubei Province were from Wuhan City.

Advice to Travellers

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) countries or territories pages should be checked prior to travel for the latest advice:

  • The FCO currently advise against all travel to Hubei Province and all but essential travel to the rest of mainland China (not including Hong Kong and Macao).
  • FCO travel advisories are subject to change and should be checked regularly.
  • A number of countries have announced restrictions on entry by travellers from China in response to the outbreak. Prior to travel travellers should check the latest FCO travel advice, including entry requirements for their destination and check with their airline/tour operator.

Travellers to countries reporting cases of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) should follow local public health advice.

Travellers to mainland China (excluding Wuhan or Hubei Province), Hong Kong, Japan, Macao, Malaysia, South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan or Thailand should be aware if they develop symptoms on return to the UK, that are compatible with novel coronavirus infection, they should self-isolate and contact one of the following:

  • NHS 111 (England and Wales)
  • 0300200 7885 (Northern Ireland)
  • NHS24 (Call 111) or your General Practitioner (Scotland)

Information on novel coronavirus is available here.