Fitfortravel is a free public access website providing up to date health information for the UK public on avoiding illness and staying healthy when travelling abroad.
- Country specific information on health risks, vaccine requirements and malaria risk are listed to enable the public to determine if they need to take additional measures to maintain health during travel.
- Where vaccinations, antimalarial tablets or additional measures are required, travellers should attend a pre-travel risk assessment to discuss travel-associated risk management with their travel healthcare professional (doctor, nurse or pharmacist).
- Fitfortravel also provides a range of general travel health and disease prevention advice pages to enable the public to maintain health.
- Fitfortravel is continually updated with relevant travel health news and information regarding outbreaks of disease. Outbreaks are posted on the basis of relevance for the UK travelling public and are not exhaustive in terms of all outbreaks that occur across the world.
Fitfortravel is maintained by the Travel and International Health Team of Public Health Scotland (PHS) which aims:
"To provide an excellent service to protect UK travellers from travel-associated health risks and to limit the wider public health impact of imported infections."
This team also produces fitfortravel’s sister site Travax®. Travax® is designed for use exclusively by healthcare professionals throughout the UK and Republic of Ireland when providing country specific advice for travellers, and has an additional level of detail.
Healthcare professionals should therefore use Travax® rather than fitfortravel.
- Healthcare professionals can register online: Travax®