Chikungunya Virus Infection in Caribbean Islands (Update)
17 Feb 2014
The outbreak of chikungunya virus infection in various Caribbean islands is ongoing. The total combined number of confirmed and probable cases now stands at 2115.
- Saint Barthelemy (St Barts), 270 suspected, 104 confirmed/probable cases
- Saint Martin, 1450 suspected, 653 confirmed/probable cases
- Sint Maarten, 65 cases
- Martinique, 2040 suspected, 844 confirmed/probable cases
- Guadeloupe, 1120 suspecged, 253 confirmed/probable cases
- French Guiana on the northeast coast of South America, 140 suspected cases, 21 confirmed.
- British Virgin Islands, 6 cases, Anguilla 5 cases and Dominica 4 cases (1 imported).
Advice for Travellers
Avoidance of mosquito bites, particularly during daylight hours, by covering up with clothing, the use of bite avoidance measures such as repellent and bed nets is advised. Elimination of breeding sites around hotel rooms/houses is advised for longer term stays.