Country Specific Risk of Coronavirus (COVID-19) (Update 39)
05 Oct 2021
International travel continues to be impacted due to COVID-19, and the number of variant strains which have emerged globally. To prevent new COVID variants entering the UK, the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) currently advise against travelling to red list countries.
On 4 October 2021, the traffic light system for travelling to the UK from another country was simplified. There are rules to follow if you have been in a red list country, and different rules if you are travelling to the UK from the rest of the world (non-red list countries).
- These rules do not indicate which destinations are allowing UK travellers to enter their country.
Before booking any travel abroad, you should consider all of the following:
- carefully review the FCDO guidance on entry requirements, restrictions, screening and quarantine requirements for the country you are visiting
- check the risk of exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) at your destination: this is detailed in the ‘Alerts section’ of each country page
- consider your risk of developing severe COVID-19
- make sure you have valid travel insurance
- check the availability of medical facilities at your destination should you become unwell
- check if you need to arrange COVID-19 testing at your destination prior to your return to the UK
- review the UK Border Force rules for entering the UK during return travel
Detailed advice on the above points including advice on reducing your risk of exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) during travel is available on the COVID-19: Health Considerations for Travel page.
Country Specific COVID-19 Risk
All fitfortravel country pages include a COVID-19 country specific risk-rating which identifies each country as having a high, moderate or low risk of exposure to COVID-19 for UK travellers.
This risk rating can be found in the 'Alerts' section on each country page and is accompanied by some travel advice.
In September 2021 the COVID-19 risk for UK travellers decreased in 1 country:
In September 2021, the COVID-19 risk for UK travellers was increased in 6 countries.
- See the news alerts for further details.
The COVID-19 risk rating in each country is being kept under constant review and may change at short notice.
Prevention in Travellers
Currently, COVID-19 vaccines are not available solely for the purposes of travel, however you are encouraged to participate in the UK COVID-19 vaccination programme if you are eligible.
After you return home from travelling abroad, always seek medical advice if you develop a high temperature, telling them about your recent travel history.