Country Specific Risk of Coronavirus (COVID-19) (Update 37)
29 Jul 2021
International travel continues to be severely restricted globally due to COVID-19, and a number of variant strains have emerged. The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) currently advise against travel to red list countries in order to prevent new COVID variants entering the UK.
On 19 July 2021, changes were made to the 'traffic light' system for fully vaccinated UK travellers returning from amber list countries:
- traffic light rules may vary slightly depending if you are returning to England, Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales
- you should always follow the rules for the country you will be arriving in, or staying in if these are different.
Country Specific COVID-19 Risk
All fitfortravel country pages include a COVID-19 country specific risk-rating which identifies each country as having a high, moderate or low risk of exposure to COVID-19 for UK travellers.
This risk rating can be found in the 'Alerts' section on each country page and is accompanied by some travel advice.
In July 2021, the COVID-19 risk for UK travellers was decreased in 3 countries:
- North Macedonia
- Greek Islands in the Dodecanese, Ionian, Attica, North Aegean and West Aegean regions
In July 2021, the COVID-19 risk for UK travellers was increased in 5 countries.
- See the news alerts for further details.
The COVID-19 risk rating in each country is being kept under constant review and may change at short notice.
Prevention in Travellers
Currently, COVID-19 vaccines are not available solely for the purposes of travel, however you are encouraged to participate in the UK COVID-19 vaccination programme if you are eligible.
Before booking any travel abroad, you should consider all of the following:
- carefully review the FCDO guidance on entry requirements, restrictions, screening and quarantine requirements for the country you are visiting
- check the risk of exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) at your destination: this is detailed in the ‘Alerts section’ of each country page
- consider your risk of potentially developing severe COVID-19
- make sure you have valid travel insurance
- check the availability of medical facilities at your destination should you become unwell
- check if you need to arrange COVID-19 testing at your destination prior to your return to the UK
- review the UK Border Force rules for entering the UK during return travel
Detailed advice on the above points including advice on reducing your risk of exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) during travel is available on the COVID-19: Health Considerations for Travel page.