What do I need to know before I travel?
Public Health Scotland logo

Fit for Travel Logo

Information on how to stay safe and healthy abroad. About us.

Travel Advice for Coronavirus COVID-19 (Update 14)

05 Mar 2020

The World Health Organisation (WHO) reports the outbreak of COVID-19 continues to expand.  By 04 March 2020, 93 090 confirmed cases (including 3 198 deaths) were reported, with 80 422 (86%) of the global total reported in China. 

The outbreak now affects countries in all regions of the world. Outside China, the Republic of Korea, Italy and Iran have seen the greatest number of cases.

A full list of affected countries is given by  Public Health England.

While WHO has reported that most people who have COVID-19 will experience a mild illness, elderly people and those with existing health problems are at greatest risk of severe illness.

Advice to All Travellers

Prior to travel, the following should be checked:

  • The Foreign and Commonwealth Office(FCO) site provides guidance for UK nationals travelling overseas, including how to seek consular assistance if required.
  • Travel agents or airlines should be contacted for latest information on local travel restrictions and local authority guidance relating to COVID-19.
  • Travel insurance is essential: the COVID-19 outbreak may impact your travel insurance coverage, ensure you carefullly check your travel insurance policy before travel.

The FCOcountries or territories pages should be checked prior to travel for the latest advice, including:

Information on COVID-19, including prevention advice, is available here.

Returning Travellers from areas affected by COVID-19

Returning travellers can check the latest advice on risk areas, including where returning travellers are required to self isolate:

  • Travellers returning to Scotland should check here HPS website
  • Travellers returning to other parts of UK should check here PHE website

Travellers from risk areas who develop symptoms on return to the UK, that are compatible with COVID-19, should self-isolate and contact one of the following:

  • NHS 111 (England and Wales)
  • 0300 200 7885 (Northern Ireland)
  • NHS24 (Call 111) or their General Practitioner (Scotland)